We are a proud sponsor of Marathon Kids (more info below) and are excited to announce 3 amazing ways for you to support Marathon Kids as we all promote physical fitness in kids and join the fight against childhood obesity. According to a study by the University of Texas School of Public Health in Houston, about 33% of Texas school children are either obese, overweight or at risk of becoming overweight. Marathon Kids is leading the fight against this epidemic, and we hope you join us to fight side-by-side with them.
12 Rogue athletes have already joined the fight; they joined Team Marathon Kids last September and are all raising money for Marathon Kids while training to run the Austin Marathon in 3 weeks.
Now, here are 3 ways for you to get involved:
1. Donate. For every $10 you donate to Team Marathon Kids between TODAY and February 12, you will earn an entry into a drawing for some very cool prizes. The prizes are:
- 1 year of training programs (up to 3 programs)
- 1 year of training shoes (up to 4 pairs)
- 1 training program
- 1 pair of shoes
- A pair of Oakley glasses
- 1 Marathon Kids fleece
In order to participate, you must donate at www.firstgiving.com/marathonkids. Once there, click on the “Donate” button on the right side of the screen. For every $10 you donate, you will receive an entry for these great prizes. Prizes will be announced on Monday, February 14. Our goal is to raise $15,000 for the cause, so donate and you might just win!
2. Buy and Eat. On Saturday, February 5th, Team Marathon Kids will host at bake sale on the morning of the long run. Bring a little extra cash for post-run and choose from a great array of foods provided by the team. Some sample items on the menu so far include: oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, banana bread, and breakfast tacos. Yum! Buy, eat, and know that all proceeds will go to support Marathon Kids!
3. Volunteer. Volunteer to support the Marathon Kids water stop on February 20 at the Austin Marathon. Volunteers are needed from 8:30am-12:30am at mile 20.2 of the course. The water stop will be #17 on the course near Brentwood Elementary School - 6700 Arroyo Seco.
The Austin Marathon requires all volunteers to register by February 8 through their organization.
Here’s how to volunteer:
Background on Marathon Kids
Marathon Kids® began 15 years ago as a way to offer free physical activity and nutritional guidance to the children of low-income families in Austin. The first year 1,800 children signed up for Marathon Kids – and ran a whole marathon in 6 months ½ mile at a time. Now, 15 years later, we are in nine cities and growing "organically" across the country. In Austin alone, we have close to 73,000 registered children! Our target populations are low-income children who are most likely to live sedentary lives and are at highest risk for type 2 diabetes. We passionately protect the integrity of this running/walking, nutrition, and schoolyard gardening program, and work hard to keep it free for all children. More details at www.marathonkids.com.
Marathon Kids Mission
The mission of Marathon Kids is to build a joyful community around children and be quickly accepted into public, private and home schools as a free, innovative, celebratory fitness and nutrition program, resonating with the child... and with the child's family. The goal is for the child to develop the love and habit of moving through space and to carry forward the power of muscular, nutritional and psychological well being.